Friday, March 23, 2012

The Difference Between a Good Speaker and a Great Speaker

I recently attended a talk given by Dr. Wendy Mogel, nationally known clinical psychologist, public speaker and author of New York Times best-selling parenting book The Blessing of a B Minus. The presentation wasn't good...it was great. Wendy Mogel far exceeded my expectations: she had me at hello, and when she wrapped things up forty-five minutes later, I wasn't nearly ready for her to walk off the stage.

So what is the difference between a good speaker and a great speaker? 

From the moment Dr. Mogel walked on to the stage, she made her presence known. She was focused and passionate about her message and delivered it with enthusiasm and humor. She spoke from her heart and pulled the audience into the presentation. She oozed confidence and knowledge and while I didn't want her talk to end, I was inspired to get home and try to navigate the rough waters of raising a teenager using some of Dr. Mogel's teachings.

Her topic was very serious: how to raise responsible, resilient, well-balanced teenagers using Jewish teachings and psychological insight, but I was smiling and laughing most of the time. She mentioned that her father was the editor for National Lampoon Magazine when she was a child, which explains her humorous style. Dr Mogel is a master storyteller and the wisdom she shares is funny and real. Her forty-five minutes of insight into raising teenagers was pure enjoyment, almost like a stand up comic routine for parents of teens. But at the same time it was extremely helpful - providing me with a much needed dose of confidence and an action plan for improving my own parenting style.

Before hearing her speak, I read both of Wendy Mogel's parenting books and found them to be astute and well-written. Her reputation and credibility precedes her; she not only studied psychology and child development but also managed to successfully raise two teenage daughters of her own. Her books are filled with relevant real-life examples from her practice in Los Angeles where she sees families and children. But she brought those stories to life when I heard her speak on stage. Mogel has a knack for distilling parental neuroses into humorous anecdotes that puts her audience at ease while she patiently walks them through scenarios designed to reduce anxiety. I couldn't help but recognize myself and my child in her scenarios. It was almost as if she was speaking directly to me.

Ever since I took Excellence in Speaking the inner coach in me has been unleashed. I cannot watch The Golden Globes or Academy Awards without considering ways that the actors could improve upon their acceptance speeches. So, sure, I was hyper aware of Dr. Mogel's speaking skills and would have liked to have seen her come out from behind the lectern. But her style, her stories, the way she connected with the audience, her use of vocal variety, her warmth and vulnerability all made up for that one shortcoming. Her passion filled the entire auditorium. Dr. Wendy Mogel is well on her way to becoming a master communicator and I look forward to hearing what she says next time.


Laurie Reid manages the written word at Ty Boyd Executive Communications & Coaching producing Words Well Spoken, Ty Boyd's newsletter as well as electronic communications to our clients. Since graduating from the Excellence in Speaking class in April of 2011, Laurie has not stopped opening her tool box.

No comments:

Post a Comment